10.30.2005

I've Been Tagged

OMG, what did Digital Cowgirl do to me! She tagged me, she challenged me to write about Food! I can send you recipes but as me to cook? And, my poor husband has asked my mother numerous times "Why couldn't you teach her to cook like you"? He is the cook in the house. Me, gotta have a 30 minute or less meal or forget it, and it will be a "Blow me sandwich" for dinner. Oh that is bologna in case you were wonder what kind of meal that was.

Now, my mother is a fabulous cook and there has never been a boring meal in our house. We were guinea pigs to my mother's cooking. While some of the food looked gross but it seemed that the grosser it looked the better it tasted. Sounds weird huh! So you want me to name some of the foods that I miss. Frankly, all of it since she be the cook and I can be like my father and sit and read the newspaper while she cooked. And, guess what? My husband is cooking now, and I am writing this. I knew I was like my father.

Name five foods, dishes or otherwise, that were a part of your childhood, and that you sometimes miss when nostalgia gets to you..."

During Thanksgiving one year it was my mother's turn to cook and we were having appetizers before the big meal. Mom had made a warm mushroom spread. Now, this stuff looks rather disgusting if you ask me. I am sorry to say that it looked like my mother puked in this dish and served it to us. This appetizer was served on a piece of rye bread and let me tell you it was so yummy. As a matter of fact I just made it the other day and you can put it on a cracker, bagel, Italian bread. Let your imagination go on this one. I will eat it for snack.

Mom made soup one day during the fall right after Halloween. Pumpkin soup. She actually smashed the pumpkins we had to make this soup. And, once again it looked liked she had a mad case of diarrhea that none of us wanted to eat it. Of course, my mother being a stern woman forced this meal down our throat. Yes, back in the 60s if you didn't eat what was put in front of you then you can simply starve. So, dig in family cause this is all your getting. I loved this soup and made it the other day and of course I couldn't use the same technique Mom did about getting my family to eat this. My family didn't like it. So, I ate it.

Ah, spinach casserole, another meal that looked like she puked in again. And, I hated spinach with a passion. This stuff would simply make me gag. Just as much as rice because dear old Dad would say "Please pass the lice" I felt like I was eating those little bitty bugs. Just enough to make me shiver up my spine thinking about it still. This casserole has spinach, American cheese, cottage cheese and it is great. I served this one Thanksgiving at my in-laws and it went fast. I was about to make it the other day...forgot most of my ingredients.

Mom makes great deserts and she made this Blueberry cake. OMG, this mouth watering desert that is very much like a coffee cake. And, it didn't look disgusting either.

Before I knew what a good Italian meal was Mom would make Slumgulian. Ya, doesn't it sound awful? Looked like some worms that had be dug up in the backyard except they were orange. All it is spaghetti and chopped meat. The thing is, she broke the noodles to smaller sizes and just stir the spaghetti and meat together and bake this meal with bread crumbs on top. Simple meal, family ate with no face making.

All my mother's meals are made from scratch as she had the time to do this. After all, the Mom's were able to stay home and care for her family while Dad worked.

So here comes the part where I am to tag 5 people with this.
Sydney,
Ageless Mind,
Temptrous,
The Wolf Den,
Momy Blog

When you post, please remove the link on the #1 spot and add yours in the #5 spot.


Creature Bug
California Fever
The Dream Life
Whyareweinthishandbasket
Slapdash Thoughts




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the crazy cat! I didn't cook until I met my husband. Now I cook most of the meals, but dh made buttersquash and eggplant w. shrimp over pasta on Sat. He loves the cooking channel. I think he likes the beautiful chef, personally.

Scottish Toodler said...

You didn't post the recipes!? I am dying to know the mushroom spread recipe and the pumpkin soup recipe!!!!