10.24.2005

My Father

I was reading someone's blog about her father telling stories of when he was younger and this person was wondering who this man was being funny. There are many stories we don't hear about of what our parents did when they were younger. I often wonder why that is. The only thing that I can come up with is the fact they don't want their children to really know what they use to do in which was no different than what we did and maybe their stories were worse and they try to set an example for us.

My kids know practically every dam thing I did when I was younger. I want them to know who their mother is during her younger years up to the time of their birth or until they can collect their own memories of me.

While my parents really never talked about their younger years. I will cherish what I know of him while growing up. One thing that was pretty funny that I can remember as if it was yesterday. We always ate in the dining room on Sunday's. So, Dad was making conversation and said to my mother "I heard a joke in the office the other day" Of course we all ears to listen to him. He says to my mother "Have you ever smelled moth balls?" My mother replied back "Yes" Dad then said "How did you get the little legs apart?" Mother being so dry did not catch on and us kids were laughing our ass off and here my mother has this stone face expression and says to my father "I don't get it" Dad replied "Honey, have you ever smelled my balls?" Now, us kids were laughing harder and practically choking on our food and milk coming out of our noses and Mom is like "Oh Donald!" but she never laughed. That was the end of those wise ass jokes at our table as Mom just doesn't get those things and find no humor in those type of jokes. Her idea of a funny joke is "Why did the chicken cross the street?" would be funny to her.


I will be blogging a lot about my father since it is close to the anniversary of his death in which is November 12th. My father meant the world to me.

5 comments:

SappyChick said...

Hey! I knew my dad pulled some funny pranks when he was younger, but I never knew he did something quite so drastic! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I can remember the time we had a discussion about caulking at our dinner table that left my sister and I in stitches. My father was being serious until he looked at us w. tears streaming down our face and laughing uncontrollably.

Unknown said...

Great memory. I wish my Dad had shared even jokes with us kids, but he didn't. Once in awhile a story about his childhood, but it was usually to stress to us how easy our life is and how hard his was.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JUST A MOM said...

SSSooooo funny I loved it, I was very close to my daddy too. I firmly believe that all little girls need a daddy like that. Thanks for stopping by, I'll be catching up.