11.12.2005

In Memory of D.P.Osterhout Jr. 5/5/1926 - 11/12/1993

Twelve years ago today my father past away. I got the phone call just as I was walking in the door where I worked. The managers were told by my mother-in-law since my Mom didn't have my work number. They had instructed me to call my mother-in-law and she just kept telling me on the phone to go to her house in which was basically across the street from where I worked. I told her I had just got to work and have to give them a reason why and she just would not tell me. I begged her to tell me and she did. I dropped the phone and collapsed to the floor.

Since my father had passed away in November and was to be buried in Vermont we couldn't have the funeral at the time since my parents lived in Georgia. We had to wait until the ground was thawed out and buried him in July when our summer camps were opened. So, basically for 8 months we couldn't put him to rest.

We had a Quaker funeral. It is a normal service but for those that had something to say about my father could make a speech. I had written a poem for my father based on one of the days that I had spent with him just before he passed away. I almost could not read this in front of everyone and my cousin that was sitting right behind me whispered to me and said it was okay if I couldn't but I may regret it if I didn't. The room was packed and I stood up and read the below poem to everyone and basically collapsed after reading this.

My father ment the world to me. He was the one that understood me, he loved me unconditionally unlike my mother. He was a smart, caring, loving, fun man. He was the type of person if you could not afford to go to college he fund your college as he did to a few people. Education he would for ever be drilling into our heads. This man paid for his twin sister's college tuition as his parent were poor. He paid for his and went to Yale. He sent all 4 of us to college. He sent my sister-in-law to college as her parents couldn't afford it etc. He paid it in cash. It was just the type of person he was.

My parents could not have kids and they had adopted 4 kids. I am honored I was choosen by they, raised by them, and loved by him. If I can just have one more of his bear hugs he would give me.

I miss you Dad....


Pervading Memories

Sitting, rocking in our chair.
On that cool crisp summer morning.
Looking out towards the lake.
Maybe admiring the beauty
Or, lost in our thoughts.
Our endearment of being together
Father and Daughter
With no words to say
Occasionally looking at one another.
Exchanging smiles.
Leaving an everlasting impression.
This remembrance I hold.
“I Love You Daddy”
I didn't need say ...
He is gone ... His pervading spirit.
A fullness in my heart he has left.

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Clance' McClannahan said...

I lost my dad this month too 5 years ago, my mom the year before. You never stop loving and missing them do you? My heart is with you.

Jack said...

Lost my dad in September, 1999. I've never felt grief like I felt in the wake of his passing.

In some way, I can understand what you're feeling, and, of course, I have no idea what you're feeling.

Best wishes to you, BD.