11.13.2005

The Weekend

My husband and I had gone to his home town this morning. It is only 40-45 minutes away depending upon the traffic. We went to a friends house and use to live across the street from them. Plenty of good times with big parties and use both houses. It seems like yesterday but seeing his kids grown up in which they are around my son and daughter's age. They have been redoing the house for the last couple of years and I haven't seen it since they were just starting. The house is big and old he said the footage is 2,600. He inherited from his father in which a lady that died left the house to his father and they were just friends. Make me wonder just how much of a friend he was to her to get a house for nothing.

I haven't gone down there since last Christmas. I am so glad that I have moved away from there. We lived right off of Route 1 and in which runs all the way into NY and right off of Route 95 that runs from Canada to Florida. The town has expanded in the 10 years that we have left and it is so darn crowded with so many stores. When I am there I feel like sardines in a can, and there is so much traffic no wonder I became such a road rage person when I lived there. My gosh, my language was just awful on the road and everyone is so busy flipping the finger at each other. I knew then I needed to get the heck out of that town. Also, when the Principal from the school calls you up and says your daughter was in a fist fight with some other girl you know it is time to bug out.

When we moved to this town and because my daughter was basically street smart and here is like the country she knew how to take care of her self. The kids were afraid of her. I know I can laugh about it now since she is all grown up now but any kid that moved from that town up to here were street smart and the kids were just plainly afraid of them. The one thing that really up set my daughter when we visiting the school she said there were no black people here. Well, she only saw like 4-5. See, we lived in a town with a variety of different culture as it is good for the kids to be exposed to that. I liked the town because it was quiet and you got more for your money with a bigger house and some land. We did try to find something down there but I just couldn't find a house I liked. So, we moved here.

So, on our way home we stopped at Walmart for a few things then home and then I had to go back out for the other groceries.

3 comments:

Mise en Place said...

I now am in country living and loving it. I don't like sardines so it's a good thing I don't live like one, lol.

doubleknot said...

Going home - most of my life was moving around but in '75 returned to roots here in the south.
I understand how your daughter must have felt - I think I was in the sixth grade when we moved from DC to Mayport - I moved from a school in which I was the only white student to an all white school and wouldn't you know it had a teacher who just didn't like me because I came from DC and didn't understand a lot down there so everytime I tried to ask a question she treated me like I was trying to be different. That was a hard year.
My room mate and I try to just do the speed limit and watch out for the speed freaks - who after weaving in and out of traffic end up beside us at spot lights! There has been so much growth in the area and the roads just can't hold them all. My room mate drives an average of 45 miles a day - one way to get to work and when he gets home he just has to chill with a cool one before he can even talk. I know I go on too much and should keep these comments short. I am sort of house bound by surgery on my knee and other health issues so I love these blogs but forgive me for rambling on.

Scottish Toodler said...

That is why I want to leave LA!!!!